This is the second installment of a new series, “Through a Kit”. This series goes through my thought process and ideas while creating layouts with a kit, from beginning to end.
In this video, I explain how I pick photos to use for the kit.
I usually have photos I want to scrap already printed because I don’t print my photos at home. I start by looking through these photos and selecting ones that may work with the kit.
As I select photos, I like to use a post it to slightly attach it to the paper. If I have any ideas for the layout, I make note of them on the same post it. I also take into consideration any challenges and sketches that I have want to do.
Of course every kit is different, and my initial plans may change, but this is the thought process that I go through.
- What photos will match specific papers?
- What photos match in color or theme to the general hues of the kit?
- Are there any papers that I want to use for another type of project? (Card, Happy Mail, etc)
SELECTING PRIORITY PROJECTS
- Do I have any layouts or projects that I need to make a priority?
- Which paper(s) can I use for those photos/projects?
- What are the themes in the kit?
- Are there any photos that would match those themes?
NEXT STEPS & STRATEGY
- Print any photos that I want to use that I don’t already have printed.
- Decide which layouts I want to start with. For me, these are the layouts that use the papers that I want prominently showing.
Thank you for joining me today! The next video and blog post in this series will show the first few layouts that I have created.